Christian McMahon FBCS CITP is a commercially astute multi-sector business leader ranked as the worlds 11th most influential CIO with a notable track record of success in both a permanent and interim capacity at board level.
He is highly skilled in guiding organisations through the necessary changes for securing the maximum value from technology investments.
Christian has first class delivery credentials on a global scale including:
▸ Board Advisory: IT strategy/investment/capability reviews and providing unbiased insights/ideas
▸ Turnaround of “troubled” projects, crisis management and interim IT leadership roles
▸ Devising and executing digitally aligned business strategies and operating models
▸ Transformation programmes: cultural change, rationalisation, restructuring and consolidation activities
▸ Full M&A lifecycle: Due diligence, integration planning and value realisation
▸ Product strategy and innovation: growing the digital capability of products and services
▸ Infrastructure consolidation: legacy rationalisation, re-platforming and move to cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP)
▸ Vendor management, negotiation and sourcing
▸ Data Transformation: Exploiting big data for meaningful insights and to de-risk decision making
▸ Using Power BI to help orgs discover, understand and act faster on opportunities buried in their data
▸ Software Development: DevOps, SDLC, Agile, API, Mobile Payments, AI, ML, Blockchain
▸ Start-Ups: Mentoring and collaborative innovation
▸ Member of Technology Panel for €5b European Commission VC Fund
He has an exceptional knowledge of current/emerging technology and is able to deliver fully secure solutions that build new customer experiences, enable competitive advantage, solve business critical issues, maximise efficiency and enable more effective ways of working.
One of Christians key strengths is the ability to adapt and translate technical matters for non-technical audiences and is very comfortable in engaging with customers in getting feedback and using this to improve products. He is an engaging blend of commercial acumen, highly developed interpersonal skills and cultural dexterity, skilled in leading globally dispersed teams and building collaborative relationships in matrix organisations across diverse stakeholders and geographies.
Christian has been recognised as an influential expert and leader in digital transformation by HP Enterprise and Cisco and is ranked as the worlds 11th most influential CIO.
As well as his work at the European Commission where he advises them on €multi-billion technology investment, funding and innovation programmes across multiple sectors, Christian is also an expert advisor selecting start-ups for the annual intake and awards in the MassChallenge Accelerator Program as well as providing hands-on mentoring to founding CEOs and their teams in a variety of industries across the global intake (US/UK/Switzerland/Israel/Mexico). MassChallenge is the largest-ever start-up accelerator and competition with intakes from over 75 countries, and the first to support high-impact, early-stage entrepreneurs with no strings attached. Christian is also a mentor at Cocoon Networks, which is the first Chinese capital-backed, international, startup ecosystem in Europe and he’s focused on helping Chinese startups interested by Europe/UK and UK startups interested by China. Christian also provides hands-on mentoring at PWC’s IncuBus Ventures to entrepreneurs and founding CEOs across a variety of industries especially around innovation, strategy, product development, technology, business development and investor relations.
Christian is a Non-Executive Director of ITSO Ltd where we are building the ITSO on Mobile (IoM) smart ticketing product in partnership with Google that allows Train, Bus and Tram Operating Companies to fulfil tickets through Google Pay direct to their phone. We plan to extend IoM beyond Google Pay to include all popular native digital wallets during 2019/20. He is also a Board Member and Trustee of the Youth Charter.
He is a highly respected CIO/CTO and Digital ‘thought leader’ with significant social influence who has forged strong relationships with the worlds leading firms, advising them on shaping their marketing, technology, product and digital strategies to better engage with and add value to their clients.
Christian is a Co-Founder of CIO 2.0 – A global movement of CIOs, CTOs and CDOs networking online and offline that also runs a series of events with a closed executive network, dedicated to helping the CIO/CTO community move into the next decade.
Christian has a very successful blog (www.theciosview.com) in which he writes about the pressures and complexities of the CIO role.
– Ranked as the 11th most influential CIO in the world by Richtopia
– Awarded status of Top Social CIO for 2015 and 2016 by the Huffington Post
– Thomson Reuters Top 30 Social Influencer: Risk Management, Compliance & RegTech – bitly.com/TRRiskUK30
– Judge and Mentor in the MassChallenge Accelerator Program
– Mentor at PWC’s IncuBus Ventures
– Mentor at Cocoon Networks – Cocoon Networks is the first Chinese capital-backed, international, startup ecosystem in Europe and I’m focused on helping Chinese startups interested by Europe/UK and UK startups interested by China
– Member of Advisory Board and Trustee – Youth Charter
– Regular collaboration with Samsung – click here to see a video of my panel appearance at a Samsung client event
– Regular collaborator & featured panelist for EMC events – click here for info about the next event
– Expert CIO ‘Thought Leader’ for recent collaboration with Symantec – read my Forbes article here
– Member of Advisory Board for CIO Today UK Magazine – click here for detail
– Member of IBM VIP Influencer Programme
– Featured CIO Contributor on the Intel IT Peer Network – link here (registration may be required)
– Featured CIO contributor on the HP Enterprise Services ‘Business Value Exchange’ platform – read my contributions here
– Awarded Fellowship and Chartered IT Professional Status (FBCS CITP) by the board of the British Computer Society
– Awarded Fellowship Status (FIoD) by the board of the Institute of Directors